FEELING AT HOME
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FEELING AT HOME

Chit chat , hobbies, making friends is what were about

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Latest imagesLatest images  GalleryGallery  Log inLog in  

BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway Empty
PostSubject: BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway   BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway Icon_minipostedFri Jan 18, 2008 1:24 am

Im sure you all sure the crash on the news yesterday, well yes I was at work that day and I was on the first fire truck to turn up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Got some amazing photos on my phone, and will do a little 'my story' and post it up here, it will make good reading im sure! How anyone wasnt killed I will never know................... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Spoolconverter
Reg
Spoolconverter

Number of posts : 55
Humor : Wicked
Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway   BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway Icon_minipostedFri Jan 18, 2008 3:29 am

Yeah that would be great to see. I must be honest I suppose it could have been a hell of a lot worse had it not made it to the runway.
Back to top Go down
http://www.spoolconverters.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway   BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway Icon_minipostedFri Jan 18, 2008 6:04 am

It didnt actually make the runway, it landed 250 metres short of the runway, poughed through the mud and grass, ripped off the main undercarriage and came to a stop just on the threshold on hard standing. If it had made it to the runway and then crashed the outcome would have been 10 times worse
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Admin
Ghost

Number of posts : 2439
Humor : sorting sheep
Registration date : 2007-12-06

PostSubject: Re: BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway   BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway Icon_minipostedFri Jan 18, 2008 7:02 am

Be interesting to see them photos Foxy (now we know nobody was hurt )

Agree what you said about the landing.... it will be a long time, but good to know what did happened
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway   BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway Icon_minipostedFri Jan 18, 2008 7:15 am

Im no expert but have done lots of case studies into air crashes and from what I could make out, either Wind Shear or Complete power loss are the only reasons it came down, you can see the photos here.......

http://87.84.220.4/forums/showthread.php?t=88482
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Admin
Ghost

PostSubject: Re: BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway   BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway Icon_minipostedFri Jan 18, 2008 7:22 am

Foxy i can put the photos in here if you say its ok?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway   BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway Icon_minipostedFri Jan 18, 2008 7:24 am

Yeah go for it, I will give a bit of text telling the forum what is going on in each one.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Admin
Ghost

PostSubject: Re: BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway   BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway Icon_minipostedFri Jan 18, 2008 7:30 am

BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway SP_A0235

BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway SP_A0232
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Admin
Ghost

PostSubject: Re: BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway   BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway Icon_minipostedFri Jan 18, 2008 7:31 am

BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway SP_A0231

BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway SP_A0227-1

BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway Img79EE015E
Back to top Go down
NICKY
Admin
NICKY

Number of posts : 3088
Humor : wacky
Registration date : 2007-08-17

PostSubject: Re: BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway   BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway Icon_minipostedFri Jan 18, 2008 5:57 pm

great pics of a bad thing if that makes sense .

so wheres this write up then ????

was it weird being first on umm you know first there ??
Back to top Go down
https://chill-out.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway   BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway Icon_minipostedSat Jan 19, 2008 10:24 am

Hi Nicky, no it wasnt weird but it certainly got the heart racing!
We were very close to where it happened as the call came through to us so we were there in under a minute, closely followed by lots of my collegaues the cabin crew did an amazing job getting everyone out in such a short space of time, there was fuel leaking everywhere and hw it didnt go up in flames we will never know. Forgive me but the delay in the write up is due to me not having any sleep for 3 days!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway   BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway Icon_minipostedSat Jan 19, 2008 10:35 am

Photo 1 - Taken approx 5 hours after the crash landing, fire service, police and recovery teams in attendance, the foam blanket can still be seen as there is a risk of leaking fuel. The nose landing gear should be in line with the doors that are open, it can clearly be seen that the nose gear collapsed and was pushed under the fuselage of the plane.

Photo 2 - Taken from the approach that the plane should have been flying over at approx 50ft, instead the skid marks in the grass from the aircrafts engines can be clearly seen, the right hand engine dug in slighty more hence the aircraft coming to a stop pointing to the right.

Photo 3 - The evacutation chutes can be seen, the enarest one was deliberately burst to allow fire crews to access the aircraft, the twisted metal above the wing is the left hand main landing gear that ripped through the wing sending fuel gushing out all over the place, the aircraft is clearly resting on its engines and the belly of the aircraft is touching the ground, had the aircraft been carrying hazardous cargo the outcome could have been very different.

Photo 4 - A close up of the left hand main gear ripped through the wing and puncturing the cabin, imagine being sat in the seats by the windows?? A length of 45mm hose and barrels of foam can be seen weighing the evacuation slide down to prevent it being blown back up over the plane in the high winds.

Photo 5 - The foam blanket can be clearly seen covering the aviation fuel that was leaking considerably from the port engine (left).
Back to top Go down
NICKY
Admin
NICKY

Number of posts : 3088
Humor : wacky
Registration date : 2007-08-17

PostSubject: Re: BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway   BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway Icon_minipostedMon Jan 21, 2008 2:57 pm

thanks foxyboxy for a great write up there and some great pics .
You work hard in your job and i have the up most respect for what you do .

How are things now ?
Back to top Go down
https://chill-out.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway   BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway Icon_minipostedMon Jan 21, 2008 3:11 pm

Its all over now, the plane has been removed for further examination............. thanks Nicky I love my job, took me 3 years to get in to the job so not about to give up anytime soon! byeeeeeeee
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Admin
Ghost

PostSubject: Re: BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway   BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway Icon_minipostedTue Jan 22, 2008 7:27 am

Good write up and info Foxy, thanks for posting it.
Think id be tempted into taking a little something of the plane to put on eBay !! Wink

Did any of you know Mac was on that flight? affraid
He was having a tour of the cockpit, when the plane got in to trouble.
As he could see the Captain and co-pilot looked a little busy sorting things out, Mac thought he’d help by calling the tower….
Mac Cries .. “Help Easter Sunday” “Help Pancake Day” “Help Boxing Day”
Voice comes back says… “think the word your looking for is MAYDAY!!!!”

faf

Sorry I will get my coat Embarassed
Back to top Go down
bluezulu

bluezulu

Number of posts : 376
Humor : black
Registration date : 2007-12-01

PostSubject: Re: BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway   BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 1:57 pm

i had a friend on that flight. thank god he was ok.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway   BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

BA Flight Crash Lands Short of Runway
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
FEELING AT HOME :: Discussions/Debates-
Jump to: